AirDrop is a program that allows you to move files between devices wirelessly. This can come in handy when you want to transfer something, like a photo, from your iPhone to your Mac or to share files with someone else. Using AirDrop on a Mac may also require being signed into iCloud.
To begin, make sure AirDrop is on your iMac. Select Go on the menu bar in the finder. If AirDrop comes up in the list, then you can use it. If it doesn’t come, then it may not be supported by your operating system. You will need to set it up and make sure it is turned on. Here are the steps to follow to do that:
- Click AirDrop on the Go menu.
- Make sure Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned on. You will get a prompt in the AirDrop screen if they are turned off. Once your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned on, AirDrop will automatically turn on.
Once AirDrop is on, you can receive files from those in your contact list. You can allow others who are not on your list to send you files by using the “Allow me to be discovered by” setting, which is at the bottom of the screen, and selecting “Everyone.”
To use AirDrop, once you have it open, you can follow these steps:
- Find the person you want to send files to on the AirDrop screen. Note that only those within 30 feet will show up and can receive files from you.
- Drag the file you want to send to user’s image on the screen and it will send the file automatically.
If you receive files through AirDrop, they will be automatically saved to your device if you are signed into iCloud. If you aren’t signed in when the file was sent, you will see a prompt asking you to accept the download.
Other how to AirDrop Resources
- What is AirDrop
- How to use AirDrop
- How to turn on AirDrop
- How to AirDrop photos
- How to use AirDrop on iPad