Apple Hybrid Gaming Console Exclusive Updates | Games, Features, and More
Toggle Dark Mode
In the fall of 2021, we broke the story about Apple’s work on a gaming console. Now, we have a few new updates on the console, what it could look like, and more. But first, here’s a bit of context.
We know Apple hasn’t made a huge push into gaming, but in 2019 Apple released the successful Apple Arcade service. If you’ve been with Apple as long as we have, then you know most of the time when Apple releases a service first, then a new hardware product follows (for example, iTunes in 2000, then the iPod in 2001).
They have done this on multiple occasions; there were rumors that began in 2020 of a gaming console in development with Mark Gurman expecting an A14 Apple TV that was meant for gaming to come in 2021. We didn’t get anything in 2021 because it was pushed back, but it was also not an Apple TV.
You see, Apple has been developing games for this upcoming console with multiple game studios since 2019. The games were postponed, but if you know anything about gaming consoles, it takes about two years to develop a game anyhow.Â
Sick of Subscriptions? This Limited-Time Microsoft Office Deal Gets You Lifetime Access for Just $50
There are no other recurring fees. This is a one-time purchase for the latest full versions of Office apps for Mac (and Windows), and they’ll work forever...Find Out More
Apple, also in early 2021, was considering purchasing a few game studios to begin more game development for the upcoming console. Most recently,Â The VerifierÂ in late 2021 reported there was going to be an Apple Gaming focused event where the “A14 Apple TV, game controller, and Apple Arcade+ would be released along with games.” That didn’t happen either; I can tell you this Apple Arcade+ is a real thing in development right now. It will bring even more games for the iPhone, iPad, and Mac but not for the new console itself.
You see one thing you’ll keep noticing about these reports is that Apple is going to release a gaming-focused Apple TV with the A14 chip inside; that’s not happening. What Apple is doing still in 2022 is seeking to take on the Nintendo Switch, which is the bestselling console in the world right now, and bring an even better portable console that is also a hybrid like the Nintendo Switch.
Apple Hybrid Game Console | Games, Specs, and Features
- The games that are being developed for the console right now are competitors to Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda Breath of the Wild, which are highly successful on the Switch. Even though they were released in 2016 and 2017, they are still bestsellers to this day.
- According to people familiar with the matter, it was said that units of Apple’s game console that have been sent out to developers had an M1-like processor and are more powerful than the Nintendo Switch OLED that was just released in 2021.
- I was also told that the final product would have a more enhanced GPU than the M1 chip meant specifically for gaming.
- The console is flat-edged and more premium, made from aluminum and glass like the iPhone.
- The people close to the console say that this device will have a separate operating system than the iPhone, and iPad and that the device in consideration could use the renewed iPod trademark until 2029.
- Apple will not take the Nintendo Switch approach completely, however, as you will download all games from the App Store, and there will be no cartridges to help protect the environment.
- The device is said to charge via USB-C and will come in fun color options.
- The price will be in the ballpark of $249-$399, making this one of Apple’s cheapest products.
- The display will be much better than the Switch OLED, although it will not be an OLED display. The prototypes have been using a regular Liquid Retina LCD display.
- Apple has been testing its own “Joy-Cons” like the Nintendo Switch has, but it will more than likely take the approach of a non-detachable, all-in-one gamepad.
Apple is spending over $500 million right now to fund 100+ games for the console as well as the upcoming Apple Arcade+ service. Ubisoft has had the device since 2020 and has been working with Apple to develop some of the games for the new gaming console.
The first thing that Apple will launch will be its AAA games. they are directly competing with Nintendo, so they will be focusing on fun action and adventure games.
Apple will beat Sony and Microsoft with the way their hardware looks, and the operating system experience will be simpler than what both of the other parties have, and of course, the performance with Apple Silicon inside will instantly blow any NVIDIA or AMD chip partially due to power efficiency.
It will be interesting whenever we get this device, but it will change Apple like all other new product categories they release. This shows that the fruit company is very serious about the gaming space and markets and will not pull an Apple Bandai Pippin in the modern era.
Apple can and will easily transform the gaming market with its own hybrid-style console because that’s also why Nintendo is number one right now as we speak.
Are you ready for this new gaming console that was supposed to be here in 2020 or 2021 and has since been pushed back? Thanks for reading!
[The information provided in this article has NOT been confirmed by Apple and may be speculation. Provided details may not be factual. Take all rumors, tech or otherwise, with a grain of salt.]