Toggle Dark Mode
FaceTime, Apple’s own video calling app, is an easy and convenient way for iOS and Mac device owners to make video and audio calls using cellular data or over Wi-Fi rather than traditional phone lines. It’s an awesome way to stay connected to friends and family via Apple devices, and you can even make international calls with no long-distance cellular plan.
As an added bonus, it’s also very easy to use — and it comes preinstalled on all Apple devices. By default, it’s usually activated as part of the setup process when you get a new device, but if for some reason it’s not, here’s how to make sure it’s all ready to go.
- Open the FaceTime app.
- If this is your first time opening it, you’ll be prompted to sign in with your Apple ID and password.
- FaceTime automatically registers your phone number to your iPhone. To register your email address to your FaceTime app, go to Settings > FaceTime, and tap on Use your Apple ID for FaceTime.
- Tap Sign-In, and input your Apple ID and password here.
If FaceTime is turned off for some reason, you can go to Settings > FaceTime and enable it from there. This will bring you to the activation menu. To turn off FaceTime at any time, just follow these steps and switch it off.
Once you do that, you’re all done. You can immediately start making audio and video calls to your friends and family on iOS and Mac devices — to do that, just follow these easy steps.
- Open your Contacts app or Phone app.
- Search and find the person you’d like to FaceTime with, and tap on their name.
- In iOS 10 you’ll find four contact options in blue circles, including message, call, FaceTime, and mail.
- Tap the FaceTime button to start your video call.
- Open the FaceTime app.
- Enter either the person’s phone number or email address into the appropriate field.
- Then, tap on the video or audio call icon.
- Alternatively, you can easily make calls to your contacts. Just enter their name into that same field, and hit the video or audio call buttons when their name pops up.
- Even easier, if an iOS device owner calls you using a traditional phone call, you can easily switch to FaceTime audio / video call by pressing the FaceTime icon anytime during the call.
FaceTime also allows you to add multiple email addresses at which friends and family can reach you, and even edit which address you’ll show up as on their caller ID. Here’s how to do that.
- Launch Settings.
- Tap on the FaceTime option.
- Under the You can be reached by FaceTime at option, tap Add Another Email.
- Type in the address you want to be reached at.
- Tap return.
- To enable or disable any address or phone number, in the same menu, just tap on the checkmark next to any address or number.
- To set your caller ID, scroll down and select one of the options under the Caller ID category.