Three new iPhones have officially been unveiled today, including the iPhone XS, the iPhone XS Max, and the iPhone XR. Here’s everything you need to know about the exciting new premium OLED iPhones from Apple.
Unlike last year, Apple has unveiled two new premium OLED devices: the iPhone XS and the iPhone XS Max.
Both devices share a similar design and aesthetic to last year’s iPhone X with an edge-to-edge display, slim bezels, and no Home button.
The iPhone XS, essentially, is an evolution of the 2017 flagship. It features a vibrant 458 ppi 5.8-inch OLED display and essentially the same form factor as the iPhone X.
But the big news this year (literally) is the iPhone XS Max. The device applies the iPhone XS design to a larger-bodied phone, packing a massive 6.5-inch OLED display into a similar footprint as past Plus devices.
- New glass formula. Strongest ever in a smartphone.
- IP68 water-resistance. Tested even against wine and beer.
- 3D Touch.
- Tap to Wake.
- 120Hz touch-sensing.
- Enhanced Stereo Sound.
- OLED 5.8in Super Retina OLED 458 ppi for iPhone XS.
- OLED 6.5in Super Retina OLED 458 ppi for iPhone XS Max.
- Dolby Vision HDR 10.
- Like last year’s models, the iPhone XS lineup will sport Apple’s advanced TrueDepth Camera, Face ID and gesture-based controls.
- TrueDepth Camera with Face ID neural networks.
- Faster algorithms, faster Secure Enclave for enhanced security.
- The iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max both run on Apple’s proprietary, next-generation 7 nanometer A12 Bionic chip. Apple’s A12 is its most powerful mobile chip yet. And will allow for a range of capabilities that have yet to be seen in most current smartphones performing up to 5 trillion operations per second.
- CPU – 6 Core. Up to 50% more battery efficient.
- GPU – 50% faster than the A11 Bionic
- Neural Engine – 8-core machine learning engine with breakthrough smart compute system.
- Real-time Machine Learning.
- Siri Shortcuts.
- Both OLED models will feature 4GB of RAM, upgraded camera specifications, better graphics processors, and longer battery life.
- Both iPhone XS variants will come with Qi-based wireless charging, which will be compatible with Apple’s AirPower charging mat.
- Dual-SIM support with Dual Sim standby and ESIM.
- Gigabit class LTE.
- Bluetooth 5.0.
- iOS 12.
- 12MP Wide Camera, 12MP Telephoto Camera Dual-Lens
- Larger, deeper pixels.
- Enhanced Image Signal Processor
- Neural engine works with CPU to detect faces, bodies, facial landmarks for enhanced color accuracy, depth and detail.
- 7MP Front Facing TrueDepth Camera
- 2x Speed
- Smart HDR, zero shutter Lag.
- Secondary inter-frames bring out highlight details.
- Adjustable depth-of-field can be altered after the photo is taken with the A12 Bionic chip.
- Records video in stereo sound.
- Xs comparable to iPhone X battery life (21 hours).
- iPhone XS Max 1 1/2 hour longer battery life than 8 Plus.
Apple officially announced the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max at its Gather Round event Wednesday, Sept. 12.
- iPhone XS and XS Max will become available to preorder this Friday, Sept. 14.
- iPhone XS and XS Max will ship out to consumers and hit store shelves on or after Friday, Sept. 21.
|iPhone XS Max||$1,099||$1,249||$1,449|
- Space Gray
As with past lineups, both OLED handsets will be available at brick-and-mortar Apple Store locations and at various carriers and third-party retailers across the globe. You’ll also be able to preorder and purchase both devices from Apple’s online site and Apple Store app.
Apple’s next generation of software updates to iOS, watchOS, tvOS and macOS are coming this month, the company announced Wednesday. Learn more here.