If You Preordered Apple’s Regular iPhone 11, You’re in the Minority

Iphone 11 Colors Credit: Apple
Text Size
- +

Apple’s new iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro models are selling better than expected. And as we get closer to launch day, sales performance for the iPhone 11 is turning out to be a bit surprising.

You would expect the lower-cost iPhone to sell better, especially considering the fact that the iPhone 11 is actually cheaper than the massively popular iPhone XR it succeeded. But, at this point, that actually doesn’t appear to be the case.

While the new lineup officially drops this Friday, Sept. 20, analysts have been keenly watching preorder demand for the new devices. Here’s what that analysis suggests about the new lineup.

iPhone 11 Pro vs iPhone 11

According to a follow-up research note by TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max are actually outselling the iPhone 11.

Kuo says that iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max models make up about 55 percent of preorders to date. That means that the iPhone 11 model makes out the other 45 percent.

Of course, because sales of both iPhone 11 Pro models add up to 55 percent, Kuo’s data actually indicates that the iPhone 11 is still the best-selling iPhone this year.

Other analysts, like Wedbush’s Daniel Ives and Instinet’s Jeffrey Kvaal, are also encouraged by slipping delivery estimates for all three models.

Higher-end devices like the Pro and Pro Max are seeing shipment times of about 17 days out from the Sept. 20 launch, compared to 11 days around this time last year for the iPhone XS and XS Max. The iPhone 11 also shows delivery estimates of about 12 days, compared to nine days for the iPhone XR last year.

Kvaal also indicates that iPhone supply is “flat” compared to last year, based on Instinet’s supply chain data. That suggests that the iPhone 11 is off to a healthier start than last year’s devices and not that Apple is producing fewer iPhones this year.

What This Means for Apple

More than anything else, the data is surprising analysts and market watchers who were originally concerned about a more muted iPhone year. Largely, that was due to the fact that the iPhone 11 was expected to be a fairly minor upgrade with no 5G compatibility.

Despite expectations of a mediocre release, analysts are continuing to see a simplified rollout and healthy preorder demand as boding well for Apple.

Reports also indicate that Apple trade-ins, the company’s iPhone Upgrade Program, and other financing options are contributing to particularly strong demand in the U.S.

For all of the doom and gloom surrounding Apple’s declining iPhone sales, the iPhone 11 lineup indicates that Apple’s flagship smartphone is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Enter our iPhone 11 giveaway here.

Read iOS 11 Guide

Recommended

Today's Deals
Social Sharing