Toggle Dark Mode
Apple on Tuesday released the third iOS 11 public beta, just one day after seeding iOS 11 beta 4 to registered app developers. Although their version numbers differ by one, they are essentially the same update. The update fixes a number of bugs and glitches in iOS 11.
What’s New in iOS 11 Public Beta 3
iOS 11 public beta 3 fixes a number of bugs and software issues, including some frustrating problems with 3D touch on the Home screen. The latest update also patches several bugs with third-party apps like Pinterest, Citi Mobile, VSCO and Tencent Video — essentially, some apps should stop crashing on you now, and AirPlay should work normally with others.
Taking user feedback, iOS 11 public beta 3 changes the way Lock screen notifications are handled back to the way it was in previous versions of iOS. Now, you’ll get a “Touch ID to open [app]” prompt when swiping left on a notification, and a view / clear notification prompt when swiping right.
Public beta 3 also introduces some subtle new visual touches and changes, including new icons for Notes, Contacts and Reminders and a new countdown interface for native screen recording. There’s a new splash page for Photos and Notes, and a new animation when toggling Low Power Mode in the Control Center.
The detailed release notes (available in an abbreviated version at the end of this post) also address some problems with 32-bit applications. The release also notes that iOS 11 beta 4 / public beta 3 will be the last update that can download or open 32-bit apps at all. That’s something we knew was coming, but it’ll finally be official in the next beta version.
Come fall, iOS will introduce a wide range of new features to iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches. Among them, it’ll introduce a revamped Control Center and Lock screen, a new native File management app, several significant iPad upgrades including a new Dock, and other updates to stock Apple apps like Camera, Photos and Siri. iOS 11 also marks the introduction of ARKit and Core NFC, two powerful tools for developers that should open up a range of new app possibilities.
How to Download iOS 11 Public Beta 3
iOS 11 public beta 3 is currently available via an over-the-air update or through the tester’s portal, provided that the proper configuration profile is installed (available here). Of course, due to the general bugginess of test software, it’s always recommended that you refrain from installing the beta on your primary device. At the very least, make sure to perform a full backup of your device to iCloud or iTunes before downloading the iOS 11 beta.
If you aren’t already signed up for the public beta program, you can do so by logging in with your Apple ID at beta.apple.com. For testers with the proper profile, you can download it by going to Settings > General > Software Update.
iOS 11 Public Beta 3 Release Notes
- Using 3D Touch with data detectors (phone numbers, addresses, and so on) now works correctly. (30504832)
3rd Party Apps
- Airplay now works as expected in third-party apps. (32819077)
- KakaoTalk no longer crashes on launch or after typing. (32320793)
- SlingTV now plays back audio and video as expected. (32649488)
- Kindle books now sync as expected. (30878446)
- Facebook Messenger now launches when the Facebook app is not installed.
- The video playback controls in Amazon Video should now work correctly. (32056010)
- Navigation bars should now look correct. (32076094)
- Tencent Video should no longer crash on launch. (32343324)
- Third-party keyboards should now work if not allowed full access. (32494032)
- The audio should no longer drop during Skype calls. (32434672)
- VSCO no longer displays an error when importing photos that have been recently taken. (32582234)
- Citi Mobile no longer crashes on launch. (31336493)
- Users can now log in to Pinterest using their email address. (31866166)
- DirectTV may crash on launch. (29533442)
- MobileIron Mobile@Work may crash on launch. (31929650)
- Tweetbot may not be able to post tweets containing photos that have been recently taken. (32569113)
- Square Cash may crash on or shortly after launch. (30926902)
- Tapping the AirPlay button in videos that are not full screen causes some apps to crash. The affected apps include iBooks, Safari, Voice Memos, and some 3rd party apps. (33331364)
- Workaround: View the video fullscreen, and then tap on the AirPlay button.
- Migrating from your Android phone now works correctly. (31816854)
- Non product page view impressions are now captured correctly. (31561060)
- After restoring a device from an iTunes backup, app icons on the Home screen no longer appear white. (32303701)
- The prompt that appears while changing an icon now displays the alternative app icon image instead of a placeholder. (32165847)
- After restoring from an iTunes backup, previously offloaded apps now appear on the Home screen. (31968368)
- Promoted in-app purchases now use the developer-specified sort order. (30877083)
- Attempting to run TestFlight without an active AppStore Apple ID no longer results in a login failure. (32230818)
- Apps over 100 MB should no longer download over Cellular connection after acknowledging the warning prompt. (32235051)
- Restoring from an iTunes backup containing an offloaded app which is also present in the iTunes library installs the offloaded app and then re-installs it from the App Store. This can result in the restored backup taking more space on your device than the size of the backup. (31461664)
- Workaround: After the restore completes, offload the app.
- Launching the App Store stops other audio. (32043325)
- Accounts using a phone number as the Apple ID are now able to create an Apple ID for a child family member. (32130392
- Some accounts using a phone number as the Apple ID may be unable to add certain payment types. (31677442)
- Connecting to a cellular network after restarting or powering on a device now works correctly. (32727321)
- Activating a Sprint Cellular data plan on iPad now works correctly. (32600925)
- Reader mode utilizing NFC now works correctly on supported devices. (32721033)Known Issues• iPad prepaid data plan purchases made on the device may fail on a cellular connection.Workaround: Purchase the data plan while connected to Wi-Fi.
- Tapping the Wi-Fi button in Control Center now disconnects from the current network and temporarily disables Wi-Fi networking. (32299242)
- The expanded Wi-Fi UI in Control Center now updates the network name when transitioning between networks. (32280116)
- The Bluetooth button behavior in Control Center now mirrors that of the Wi-Fi control. (32300000)
- Indexer file dragging no longer fails for both package file types or for files whose URL doesn’t have a matching absoluteString and path. (32354867)
Do Not Disturb
- Do Not Disturb While Driving is enabled starting with beta 2. (32232545)
- Storing data to a non default event store in EventKit may not work. (31335830)
- FaceTime Live Photos is disabled by default on most devices. (33322822)
- Workaround: In the Settings app, navigate to FaceTime > FaceTime Live Photos and enable the feature manually.
- If payment verification is required, Family setup may not launch after the purchase of an Apple Music family membership. (32056496)
Workaround: Invite family members from Family Sharing settings.
- Pending invitations may not show in Family Sharing settings. Family members will appearonce they accept their invitations. (32602074)
- After sharing iCloud storage with family members, the confirmation screen may not close. (32458127)
- Sharing your location with family members may not turn on location sharing. (32746961)
Workaround: Share your location from Family Sharing settings.
- When creating an Apple ID for a child, the Terms & Conditions acceptance screen may freeze even though the Apple ID has been created. To use Settings, force quit and then open the app. (32365952)
The Files app can now display a QuickLook for an iWork document. (32353448)
- Quicklook thumbnails provided by QuickLook thumbnail extensions for custom UTI types now show the appropriate thumbnail. (32354934)
- VoiceOver now interacts correctly with Done, List, and Share buttons when VoiceOver is enabled and a user opens any document in the Recents tab. (32362561)
- Siri now recognizes a HomeKit setup in devices upgraded to iOS 11 beta. (32338077)
- When multiple home hubs are configured, reading from or writing to Bluetooth accessories now works correctly. (32578105)
- Dropping PDFs and books into iBooks now works correctly. (32328715)
- Audiobooks now appear in the library after purchasing or after downloading again. (32150156)
- After deleting a book purchased from the store, subsequent download attempts now work as expected. (32775084)
- iBooks will no longer freeze when adding or removing a bookmark in a PDF document. (32625432)
After restoring from an iTunes backup, users are now able to authenticate iCloud credentials during setup. (32721872)
- When restoring from iCloud Backup in Setup Assistant, you should now see the correct list of backups. (31739878)
- Some services should now sync correctly on initial iCloud login. (32407057)
- Device Enrollment Program iPads now support iCloud backups. (32027587)
- When installing the beta, users with separate iTunes and iCloud accounts are no longer logged out from their iTunes account. (32228993)
- Known Issues
- In some cases when restoring from an iTunes backup, app icons and names may be missing until app sync and installation is complete. (32543667)
- Added a new Arabic keyboard for the Najdi dialect. (29187663)
- Changes to the keyboard state such as changing the keyboard type from one-handed to emoji, now persist. (33092873)
- Apps installed by MDM are no longer stuck in waiting after restoring from a backup. (32267165)
- Unenrolled Managed Devices no longer reinstall MDM apps upon restore. (32387929)
- Siri is now able to get directions with Maps when Do Not Disturb While Driving is active. (32273986)
- When a user revokes an application’s access to Media & Apple Music in Settings > Privacy > Media & Apple Music, the Music User Token now behaves correctly. (31932361)
- Elapsed time is now updated when touching play or pause, or when seeking during video content playback. (32065281)
- Song metadata now syncs correctly with iTunes. This includes play counts, skip counts, and associated timestamps. Smart Playlists that use these criteria, such as Recently Played, do not update. This does not affect Star Ratings or Love/Dislike. (31488141)
- In Podcasts, selecting a station with multiple episodes may navigate to a blank screen. (32320460)
- When testing the new Message Filter app extension feature, if the first incoming message from an unknown recipient is marked as spam by the extension, they are now delivered to the user. (31986503)
- Messages on iCloud should now be available after a device has been offline. (32224851)
- Notifications should now function as expected. (32463538)
- Turning off “Show in my Profile” for a playlist may still show the playlist name and artwork in your profile. (32560995)
- Wi-Fi password sharing and Personal Hotspot sharing on beta 2 and later don’t work with devices that are running beta 1.
- If a user restores from a backup in which the Notes app is deleted, the app may not work properly after being re installed.
- Under some circumstances, rotating an iOS device may cause Apple Pencil to become unusable.
- On Demand Resources
When debugging On Demand Resources, if the target is configured to use asset packs embedded in the Product Bundle, the assets are now found.
- The call history list in the Recents tab does not update immediately, which can result in the second number in the list being dialed when the the first number in the list is selected. Saved contacts are not affected by this issue. (33094744)
- Phone app should no longer crash when a voicemail message is deleted. (32394726)
- For certain carriers in certain geographies, some services, such as Voicemail, Messaging, Call Wait, Call Forwarding, and so on, on Wi-Fi calling-enabled devices now work correctly. (32433588)
- An SOS notification is no longer be sent when canceled. (32413903)
- Portrait images no longer change when entering Edit mode. (31889782)
- Editing a photo in Simulator now works correctly. (32298353)
- Thumbnails in the Photos import view and Image Capture app should now appear correctly. (32318758)
- RAW+JPG photos imported using the camera connection kit are now imported in the correct format. (32260701)
- Creating a new Photos or Kaleidoscope Watch Face from the Create Watch face share option in Photos no longer exits unexpectedly. (32011772)
- AirDrop sharing of Live Photos no longer results in an error when importing to Photos. (31971874)
- Photos captured on iOS 11 now show the correct orientation on versions of macOS earlier than 10.13. (32311412)
- Some third-party apps may not fully support HEVC and HEIF. (30292869)
- Immediately pressing Home from a popover-enabled app should no longer cause touch to become unresponsive. (32435759)
- Launching a popover-enabled app from the Dock no longer flashes the popover or the Dock during the launch animation. (32429615)
- iOS 11 adds a new sync system for your Safari Bookmarks and Reading List to provide better syncing and security. Migration to the new sync system occurs silently after all the devices signed in to your iCloud account are running iOS 11. (22936727)
- In beta 2 and earlier, Safari Content Blockers may not have blocked content as expected.
- Workaround: If a Content Blocker is not working as expected, in Settings > Safari, toggle the state of the Content Blocker.
- Opening a link in Safari no longer results in a loop where Safari and another app repeatedly open each other. (32518579)
- Cellular data for music downloads may be included in Wi-Fi Services instead of in iTunes Accounts in the Cellular > System Services panel of the Settings app. (32353045)
- The Settings app no longer crashes when adding or deleting keyboards. (32716997)
- The Settings app no longer crashes when deleting Podcasts from device storage. (32408313)
- First-time installation of profiles now works as expected. (32249534)
- The Offload App feature now works for apps that are shipped with the OS. (32283120)
- Personal hotspot data usage is now included in the cellular data usage UI when the device acts as the host on T-Mobile US devices. (32262043)
- Storage graph and size information in Settings now updates correctly. (32295963
- Social accounts have been removed from Settings in iOS 11. Third-party apps no longer have access to those signed-in accounts. (31687059)Setup AssistantKnown Issues• Sync on Reset and Guide User to Backup show a progress bar that appears to stop at 90% even though the data sync has complete successfully. (32715751)
- Added new voices for both genders of Brazilian Portuguese, Canadian French, Dutch, and Swedish. Added new female voices for English and Mexican Spanish, and upgraded the voice for both genders of Japanese and Chinese. (32221950)
- Added support for translation requests from English US to Chinese, Spanish, German, French, and Italian. (32221937)
- On Chinese networks, Siri does not disambiguate between the three available emergency numbers before dialing. (31805684)
- General Knowledge and Wikipedia queries in languages other than English (United States) may result in a variety of UI and layout issues. (33404897)
- Siri UI now dismisses automatically from the screen while using Messages with CarPlay. (32428580)
- Siri results for Weather, Stocks, and Movies queries are now legible. (32327773)
- Switching Siri’s voice from the Settings screen no longer plays a different voice from the default voice. (32332081)
- The Lists & Notes domain implementation for non-English languages should now work in the same way as US English. (30457023)
- Siri no longer hangs or times-out if the Home button is held for the duration of the spoken request. (33086511)
- While sending messages with Siri in CarPlay, pressing the “Send” button on the screen no longer results in the error, “Uh oh, there was a problem.” (33160022)
- SiriKit commands for Notebook that are in Finnish do not work correctly if the commands are broken into more than one utterance. (32272318)
- Siri may use information from previous requests when completing the current request, even if Siri was closed between the requests. (33148434)Workaround: To begin a new request use the “Start over” Siri command.
- Using Siri to correct the spelling of a transcribed request may result in an error.Workaround: Tap the misspelled word and correct it using the on-screen keyboard.
- Weather snippets currently show a sash icon from the iOS Weather app. The snippet should show the icon for The Weather Channel. It is also missing an attribution that opens The Weather Channel app. (31429437)
- Users may encounter disambiguation issues while using Siri for Phone and Messages. (32477407)
- Using Siri to disambiguate between multiple phone numbers for a contact sometimes does not work. (32591639)Workaround: Tap a selection in the UI.
- Siri no longer loops when using SiriKit Notes queries to mark a reminder. (32398834)
- When a user verbally tries to disambiguate between two or more SiriKit apps in a disambiguation list, Siri now prompts for more details before opening an app. (32188589)
- SiriKit testing now works in Simulator. (32721342)
- If the user does not mention the app name in the initial utterance, tapping the app in the disambiguation no longer launches the app instead of other possible Siri actions
- In the Watch app, changes to Mail > Include Mail are now saved. (32553544)
- On an Apple Watch running a version of watchOS earlier than 4, location activity now correctly sets the location arrow in the status bar or in Settings. (31496053)
- watchOS email alerts now use the configured settings. (32332614)Known Issues• Pairing an iPhone running a beta of iOS 11 and an Apple Watch running a version of watchOS earlier than 4 may fail. (32587160)Workaround: Attempt to pair the Apple Watch again.