Apple has officially rolled out its newest operating system update, iOS 10.3, on Monday, March 27.
Today’s release, which marks the third update Cupertino has made to its iOS 10 operating system, introduces a number of major changes and improvements, including a new Find My AirPods feature which allows users to locate the Bluetooth earbuds if they’re lost. iOS 10.3 also updates the iPhone’s file system to a new Apple File System (APFS), which improves support for SSD, and includes strong encryption and data integrity. First announced at WWDC 2016, APFS also reportedly boosts speeds on older devices like the iPhone 5s.
Apple has also made a number of significant changes to the App Store, including adding a new reviews API that limits the number of times that an app can ask users to submit a review. Additionally, users can now rank reviews as “Helpful” or “Not Helpful,” and developers can respond to user reviews for the first time.
iOS 10.3 also adds expanded HomeKit switch accessory support, Reduced Motion preferences in web applications, new user security options in Settings, a Podcast widget, Playlist sorting chances in Music, Wi-Fi Calling support for several carriers — such as Verizon as the UK’s Three — and a new app opening animation.
Today’s update may also mark the beginning of the end of support for 32-bit application. When developers downloaded the first iOS 10.3 beta, they discovered a slightly updated compatibility message for 32-bit apps — with a “Learn More” button added in beta 2. While iOS 10.3 doesn’t cut off 32-bit compatibility, it’s likely that iOS 11 or some future iOS release will.
iOS 10.3 is currently available to download as an over-the-air update.
List of Changes in iOS 10.3
Find My iPhone
- View the current or last known location of your AirPods.
- Play a sound on one or both AirPods to help you find them.
- Support for paying and checking status of bills with payment apps.
- Support for scheduling with ride booking apps.
- Support for checking car fuel level, lock status, turning on lights and activating horn with automaker apps.
- Cricket sports scores and statistics for Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council.
- Shortcuts in the status bar for easy access to last used apps.
- Apple Music Now Playing screen gives access to Up Next and the currently playing song’s album.
- Daily curated playlists and new music categories in Apple Music.
Other Improvements and Fixes
- Rent once and watch your iTunes movies across your devices.
- New Settings unified view for your Apple ID account information, settings and devices.
- Hourly weather in Maps using 3D Touch on the displayed current temperature.
- Support for searching “parked car” in Maps.
- Calendar adds the ability to delete an unwanted invite and report it as junk.
- Home app support to trigger scenes using accessories with switches and buttons.
- Home app support for accessory battery level status.
- Podcasts support for 3D Touch and Today widget to access recently updated shows.
- Podcast shows or episodes are shareable to Messages with full playback support.
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Maps from displaying your current location after resetting Location & Privacy.
- VoiceOver stability improvements for Phone, Safari and Mail.
iOS 10.3 Is Compatible with the Following Devices
|iPhone||7 and 7 Plus||6s and 6s Plus||6 and 6 Plus||SE||5s, 5c, and 5|
|iPad||Pro (12.9 inch)||Pro (9.7 inch)||Air||Air 2||4th Gen|
|iPod touch||6th Gen|
Discuss This Article in Our Forum