Toggle Dark Mode
No matter how careful you are, there’s always the chance that you’ll accidentally drop your iPhone. A case definitely helps to protect your device from cracks and scratches, yet a majority of cases are bulky or hide the device’s beautiful design. Thankfully there are a number of thin, clear cases that protect your phone without compromising the device’s look.
Most of the clear iPhone cases on the market are constructed from a material known as thermoplastic polyurethane, or TPU. This creates a durable and flexible case. But with extended use, many of these clear cases begin to take on a yellow tint due to sun exposure, heat, humidity, and oils from your skin.
TPU stains are often due to chemical reactions and are usually irreversible. And while the yellowing doesn’t jeopardize the case’s coverage, it does create an unsightly look.
Here are some cleaning methods you can try to reduce the yellowish stains on your clear case.
First Try Soap and Water
- Fill a bowl full of warm water and dish soap.
- Submerge the case, scrub it with a sponge or brush, and repeat.
- Be sure to fully dry the case before putting it back on your iPhone.
Magic Erasers May Help
The Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean is a powerful all-surface cleaner, but did you know it can help clean your iPhone case? Try and give it a scrub with the Magic Eraser to remove some of the more noticeable yellow stains.
Then Try Bleach
- If soap and Magic Erasers aren’t taking off the stains, you could put a mixture of bleach and water into a spray bottle.
- Spray the case, let it sit, and then scrub the case with a sponge or brush. Repeat as necessary, then rinse when finished.
Remember to wear gloves when using bleach, the chemicals can be harmful to your bare skin.
Last Resort? Sandpaper
If you’ve got nothing to lose, try using a sheet of ultra fine sandpaper.
- Lightly sand the outer layer of the case.
- When finished, wipe down the case to get rid of any excess particles.
You might find that this can help increase the clarity of the case and remove some of the yellowing.
If Nothing Works, Get a New Case
Sometimes a case gets yellowed beyond repair — you might not even feel like trying to salvage it. Thankfully, there are many affordable clear iPhone cases if you need a replacement. Here are some popular clear cases on the market:
iPhone 8 Clear Cases:
iPhone X Clear Cases:
iPhone XS Clear Cases:
iPhone XS Max Clear Cases:
iPhone XR Clear Cases: