Toggle Dark Mode
‘Live Photos’ is a fun and nifty feature that captures a .MOV video file of each photo you take, recording video and audio of the 1.5 seconds before and after the still image. In essence, it creates a 3 second snapshot of a moment, bringing it to life for you to share with friends and family.
There are a limited number of apps that can support Live Photos, but that list fortunately includes popular photo sharing platforms such as Facebook and Instagram. Here we detail how you can upload and share your Live Photos on Instagram.
- Take a Live Photo and make sure it’s in your Camera Roll.
- You’ll need to download Google’s Motion Stills app. Luckily, it’s available for free in the app store here. The app brings advanced stabilization and rendering capabilities and can convert your Live Photos into shareable videos or endlessly looping GIFs.
- Find your Live Photo in the Motion Stills app and edit it to your liking.
- Now, tap the share arrow located near the bottom right corner of the frame. A popup menu of options should materialize.
- From there, tap ‘Share Video.’ Another menu of options should pop up.
- Select ‘Instagram’ from that menu to directly post your video or GIF to Instagram.
- If you want to save the converted and edited video to your Camera Roll first, tap ‘Save Video.’ You can then separately fire up your Instagram app at a later time and post your Live Photos video as usual.
And that’s it! And remember, you have the option to cross-post anything from Instagram onto Facebook at the time of posting. Just keep an eye out for the Facebook toggle switch while you’re posting your Live Photo to Instagram.