Among the many features brought to you by the iOS 9 update, the least talked about but nonetheless intuitive and helpful, is the completely revamped iteration of the Notes app.
Apple has added a plethora of new features therein, including deeper share sheet and drawing integration tools; however the most useful addition, by far, is the ability to create interactive checklists on the go.
To create a new checklist in iOS 9 Notes, follow the steps below.
- open the app and click the pencil and pad icon in the lower, right-hand corner of the screen.
- Once the new note screen is open, select the action menu button, which is located just above the soft keyboard and is represented by a small, gray circle with a plus sign.
- This is the hub from which you can create checklists, format text, and insert photos and drawings.
- Tap the action button, and then select the checklist button which is represented by an encircled checkmark.
- An empty circle should then appear in the blank note, and your first item can be entered thereafter.
- This circle is interactive, meaning that tapping it will enter a mark, or, in essence, a visual confirmation that the item has been selected or the task completed.
- Additional buttons can be inserted by creating a new line of text and, once again, clicking on the checklist button in the action menu as previously specified. In addition, highlighting several lines of text and tapping the checklist button will create a multi-item list.
Lists can even be imported from emails, messages and other apps, as well, by simply copying & pasting, and then turned into an interactive checklist by following the steps as outlined above. This can be particularly helpful especially while shopping, for example; all you’d do is tap the circle next to an item on the list to mark it off. Poof!
You can also share formatted checklists with friends via email, Messages and more, by tapping on the share button in the top-right corner of the screen. Activating iCloud syncing, as well, by going to Settings > iCloud > Notes, will automatically send notes and real time changes to all of your iOS and OS X powered devices.