You've probably heard stories about iPhones unexpectedly catching on fire. A few years back, an Australian surfer couldn't surf the waves or the internet because of his self-combusting iPhone 7. More recently, an iPhone exploded into flames while being fixed at a repair shop. Though the cause of the fireball isn't always discovered, most often the culprit is ultimately found to be the battery. So continue reading to learn the five things you can do to lower the risk of your iPhone going up in smoke.
Don't use a knockoff charger or cable
Don't use a cheap knockoff charger or charging cable. Buy a quality charger or cable from Apple or a trusted brand like Belkin or Anker. Knockoff chargers and cables are not built with the same quality material and safety standards as the name brands. As a result, they are more likely to break, overheat or experience other electrical issues that could lead to a fire.
Charge on a safe surface
More than one iPhone has caught fire while its owner was charging the phone in their bed. Unfortunately, a phone trapped underneath blankets or pillows can overheat and catch on fire. While in most cases, the fire is detected before anyone is injured or property is damaged. But A family from Wales was not so lucky. A teen in the house was charging her iPhone overnight in bed, when the iPhone overheated, caught fire, and burnt down the whole house. In another instance, a teen girl from the UK suffered facial burns when her iPhone began smoldering.
Check your battery health
You should periodically check the health of your battery to make sure it is functioning correctly. Go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health to check the capacity of your battery and turn on optimized battery charging that reduces the wear and tear on your battery. The lower the battery capacity, the older it is, and the more likely it will fail. Replacing the battery will reduce the risk of a battery bursting into flames, and it will extend your battery life.
Avoid excessive heat or direct sunlight
Apple designed the iPhone to turn off when the phone overheats for a good reason. This feature protects the battery and sensitive components from heat-related damage. As an added bonus, it also prevents fire. But don't just rely on this failsafe feature. Be proactive, and don't leave your phone in your car during the summer. Keep your phone in the shade and use it only in Apple's recommended temperature range of 32Â° to 95Â° F. You remember that surfer who lost his car when his iPhone burst into flames? It was probably due to excessive heat from being in a hot car while buried under his clothing.
Check for swollen or leaking batteries
Have you ever pulled out an older iPhone from your junk drawer and noticed it is swollen? Please do yourself a favor and bring it to Apple immediately. A battery that is swollen or leaking poses a significant hazard. Store the iPhone with the defective battery outside your house and car. You don't want to be near the phone or have it in your home if it bursts into flames.